Dear Mindful Astoria Community,
This current health crisis traveling the globe reminds us we are all interdependent and interconnected. In order to keep our community and all the groups who share the spaces where we meet and practice safe and healthy, we would like to share some guidelines from the US Center for Disease Control and we ask that you:
1. Please stay home and call your doctor if you are feeling unwell (fever, coughing, shortness of breath, etc.) and seek medical care.
2. Wash your hands with soap for 20 seconds (sing Happy Birthday twice) before entering the space. As an alternative, you can use hand sanitizer. Wipe down yoga mats with wipes provided.
3. Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or your inner elbow.
4. Refrain from touching your face (esp. eyes, nose, mouth). This is a great mindfulness exercise, to notice when and why you reach for your face.
5. Ask for consent before hugging or shaking hands with others in the community and consider refraining from physical contact at this time.
6. Please stay home and call your doctor if you have had close contact with someone who has COVID-19, or if you have recently travelled from an area with a widespread or ongoing community spread of COVID-19 If you have visited any location that the CDC is designated as “Level 3” please do not attend Mindful Astoria until you have been symptom-free for 14 days after returning to the U.S. Please check the CDC website here for more latest information.
We practice not simply for ourselves. We can all take steps to create and support a safe, healthy atmosphere for older adults and immune-compromised people (and caregivers!) in our community who may not easily bounce back were they to contract COVID-19 or the flu.
Thank you for your compassion and understanding.
For now our gatherings will remain as scheduled. We are monitoring this situation through the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH). We will communicate any updates with our schedule with the Mindful Astoria community through Meetup emails and on our Facebook page and website.
Thank you for your cooperation in keeping our community safe and healthy. May you all be well.
The Mindful Astoria Leadership Committee (Emily, Manaslu, Morgan, Bahar, Carl, Katie, Ivona, Joe, and Steve)